About The Position
The primary purpose of this position is to assist our customers with the design of their products for manufacturing, determine the ideal processing method(s), determine/source the ideal materials, and develop the ideal manufacturing process(es) to create the desired product. A Product Development Engineer is an important position in this company due to the complexity of custom products and the skill to develop robust solutions that satisfy customers. Innovation is crucial to the companies’ competitive advantage.
- Manage the design of new products and processes to meet customer demand and sales strategies
- Participate in product development meetings, communicating status of agreed action items and documenting progress
- Source new raw materials and technologies required to achieve product viability and cost objectives
- Manage design inputs/outputs and hold design reviews on projects/products when applicable
- Participate in implementation and evaluation of quality procedures for developing products as part of the quality team
- Keep abreast of new industry technologies and materials and share information with others in The Strouse Corporation
- Support Sales Engineers through joint sales calls when necessary
- General Engineering and Technology — Knowledge of the practical application of engineering science and technology. This includes applying principles, techniques, procedures, and equipment to the design and production of various goods and services.
- Making Decisions and Solving Problems — Analyzing information and evaluating results to choose the best solution and solve problems.
- Deductive Reasoning — The ability to apply general rules to specific problems to produce answers that make sense.
- Inductive Reasoning — The ability to combine pieces of information to form general rules or conclusions (includes finding a relationship
among seemingly unrelated events).
- Process capability/Data Analysis
- Customer/Client Focus
- Critical Thinking
- Problem Solving
- Time Management
- Project Management
- Teamwork and Effective Communication
The physical demands described herein are those that must be met by an employee (with or without reasonable accommodation) to successfully perform the essential functions of the Product Development Engineer Position:
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle or feel; and reach with hands and arms. This position requires the ability to occasionally lift products and supplies, up to 50 pounds.
Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
Travel is expected less than 5%, travel ranges from a partial day to multiple days. Primarily in North America but OUS may occur.
Required Education and Experience
- 4-year college and 3 years of related work experience or High School Diploma or G.E.D and 10 years of related work experience
- Computer Proficiency in CAD and Microsoft Office Products
Preferred Education and Experience
- AutoCAD design and statistics applied to process capability.
- Lean Manufacturing
- Process Improvement
- Process Validation